Minutes from Democafe meeting, Saturday 27th June 2015 held from 2pm to 4pm at The Forge, Delancey Street, Camden NW1 7NL.
The wonderful Brazilian music in the background from 2pm onwards (a regular end of month event at the Forge), proved to be too much of a distraction, and we walked to Regents Park and settled in the Smokehouse.
Present: Eddie (chair), Sara, Janos, Carol, Mary (notes). Apologies: Michael, James, Denise, Alan.
Minutes of the meeting on Saturday 20th June 2015 were accepted.
Website Review: Discomfort was expressed about the formality of the term “Position Paper”, and after discussion, it was agreed that “Current Thinking” would be a better description. Mary agreed to arrange the website to reflect this in due course, as a training project with another member of the group.
Planning the Housing Event:
Eddie had been unable to attend the last meeting, and was anxious to make progress on this, following our discussion on Saturday 13th June 2015.
• Both Eddie and Janos had produced their own prototype ideas for model houses, Janos’s with the mortgage document, Mary had suggested adapting food cartons, e.g. herbal teas, and thought the idea of the workshop was for participants to make them on the day, but if we were able to use Bluston’s the shop window could be full of houses, we would need to prepare them in advance.
• Mary felt that selling the houses to raise money would be problematic without the formalities of an organisation with a Treasurer being in place. She suggested adding another dimension to the event by using a community currency, locks being the local one for Camden, and offered to contact the core group of Camden LETS to see if they were interested in participating in and promoting the project to their own members.
• The event would be a focal point in time for updating the paper describing our current thinking on the issue of Housing. Michael had already agree to co-ordinate production of this, and members who had something to say on this topic, including Janos and James, were urged to send their thoughts to Michael.
• Mary had recently reconnected with Alastair Murray, who was Director of Projects at Housing Justice, and thought it might be worth connecting with him with a view to his participating in the housing event: www.housingjustice.org.uk.
• Eddie offered to approach Christo & Co the agents of Blustons, with a request to use it as a venue for the event, and prepare a planning paper for the event in time for next week’s meeting.
• Mary explained that the email address group@democafe forwards to the wider list (about 36) and can, in due course, be replaced by a mailman discussion list.
• As individuals were reluctant to be identified as spokesperson, it was agreed that once the minutes had been cleared by the chair, if whoever circulates them to the wider group does it from email@example.com, then any responses will forward to the regular attendees, currently Eddie, Sara, Janos, Carol, Mary, James, Alan, Denise, Michael. Once the minutes were cleared Mary would ensure they were circulated.